History of

larnOO and Terangaville Station

LarnOO Homestead:

Built by Major Alfred Nation Aitken in 1904 for his Mother, LarnOO is set in the gentle hills of Yea. Major A.N Aitken and his brother Norman owned both  LarnOO  and the nearby Switzerland farm estate from 1901 until 1908.

In 1908 Alfred sold his interest in both Switzerland and LarnOO to his brother Norman as they had run a business partnership in the area. Alfred moved to Kyneton.

Major Aitken leased part of his land holding to Charles (Chas) Pratt who produced an award winning racehorse "Preston" who would stand on the property at Ghin Ghin for multiple seasons. The property grazed sheep and cattle and has since been occupied by only a handful of graziers over the years.

Terangaville Station:

In 1876 the late Mr Marshall purchased "Terangaville" where he lived up to the time of his demise in 1911. Mr and Mrs Stowwell both Victorians claimed to be the first native-born to be married in the State. Mr Stowwell Marshall was a keen enthusiast in all sorts of pastoral pursuits, but confined his attention principally to wool growing and cattle at Terangaville Station. He also devoted considerable attention to racing horses and the breeding of draught horses. His pride was the pure bred Clydesdale stallion KING HERO that gained first prize and champion of Australia at the famed National Agricultural Society’s Show in Melbourne from 1886 to 1890. He is a beautiful dark bay horse with plenty of bone, powerful build and a good action!” (TERMS, £3 3s. £1 to be paid on removal of mare, balance when mare proves in foal.)

In 1910 Mr Marshall established the Terangaville Cricket Club and appointed himself as President and his sons as secretary and treasurer. The association of local cricket clubs included Yea, Homewood, and the Mills (Cheviot). Many local games were played on the river flats between the Terangaville Homestead and the Goulburn river.

The property has since been occupied by only a handful of graziers over the years.